Who stands to benefit?
- Current and former workers who worked in these companies’ mines from 12 March 1965, and who have contracted silicosis.
- Dependants of deceased former mineworkers who worked in these companies from 12 March 1965, and who were certified as having contracted silicosis.
- Current and former workers who worked in these companies’ mines from 12 March 1965, and who contracted certain severe forms of TB.
- Dependants of deceased former mineworkers who worked in these companies from 12 March 1965 and, subject to certain conditions, whose primary cause of death was TB.
Are you eligible to apply?
You may be eligible to claim compensation if:
- You are a mineworker who worked at one of these gold mines listed from 12 March 1965, or you are a dependant of a mineworker who worked at these gold mines during this time.
- You have been certified by the Medical Bureau for Occupational Disease (MBOD) as having silicosis or tuberculosis, or you are the dependant of someone who died from silicosis or tuberculosis.
- You have symptoms of silicosis or TB, such as chest pains, shortness of breath and excess coughing, and you were exposed to dust at one of the gold mines listed from 12 March 1965. You will need to be examined and certified to confirm you are eligible.
What should you do now?
If you think you meet these criteria, and you would like to receive more information when and if the agreement becomes final, you may fill in your contact details here:
If you have not already lodged a claim with the MBOD for statutory benefits, it would be a good idea to do so now. Here’s more information on how this can be done.
Warning: You MUST NOT pay anyone for information on this settlement, or to register for the benefits, or to have your benefit medical examination done. Further information, registration and medical benefits examinations are FREE.